Maybe your Rabbi stopped giving his weekly class ever since The Covid Thing happened, maybe you’re on the hunt for a new challenge, or maybe you just think it would be cool to browse some Torah.
Whatever the case is, you want to learn Torah online— and here you are, looking for some resources. Well lucky for you, we’re counting down our top five favorites when it comes to online learning.
1. TorahAnytime: Starting off with a bang, TorahAnytime is the largest library of originally recorded Torah videos in the world (with 70,000+ Torah videos from more than 1000 different speakers)! With a huge variety of speakers and topics to choose from, you’re sure to find something suited just for you.
2. Aish Academy: If you’ve always wanted to learn more about Judaism but never had the opportunity, Aish Academy is for you. Featuring individual courses, long-term access, and bite-sized lessons, you’ll find the Torah coming alive.
3. OUTorah: Learn Torah online with editor’s picks, parsha series, halacha classes, kashrut classes, and more on this website.
4. Sefaria: Jewish learning has never been easier. Sefaria is home to 3,000 years of Jewish texts, offering free access to Torah study online with texts, translations, and commentaries so that everyone can participate in the ongoing process of studying, interpreting, and expounding on Torah.
5. AlephBeta: AlephBeta is an organization helping people closely read the Torah to discover its beauty, meaning, and relevance. Watch stunning animated videos on the parsha, holidays, and prayers, and experience the timeless wisdom of the Torah in an easy-to-understand way.
The benefits of online Torah study:
There are so many benefits you can get from bringing Jewish learning into your life. With the growing trend in online learning in the past decade, it’s never been easier to connect to your Jewish community or strengthen your relationship with Judaism. There’s something for everyone, whether you want to connect to your heritage, learn about specific topics of interest, supplement a school education, explore Judaism’s digital resources or find support.
- Online Jewish classes can offer the perfect balance between personal and group learning and give you the opportunity to learn at your own pace in the comfort of your own home or office.
- Most online learning sites feature advanced search capabilities, free resources, and online forums where participants can ask questions, critique articles, and respond with their own insights.
- Online Jewish learning completely eradicates geographical boundaries! People from around the world are able to learn, share ideas, and connect. Programs like TorahMates allow people from opposite ends of the globe to learn together weekly over a phone or video call.
There are a lot of different posts, blogs and courses online related to Jewish studies. And they all have one thing in common: they’re practically free. None of these places actually charge for their content, which is great for those of us who want to learn more about a given topic related to Judaism.
Online studies also allow you to pace yourself, come back to things, and restart. It can be a great option for someone with more limited time and a tighter schedule.
That being said, online learning also requires lots of self-discipline. It can be easy to lose focus if you’re not careful, and requires strong self-motivation.
Like everything else in life, learning online can be beneficial if used correctly and at the right times. However, there are other options that will give you that same ease and comfort while allowing you to remain motivated and stimulated while achieving your goals.
TorahMates is a program that provides a unique approach to learning by providing learners with a convenient personalized learning experience and a support system that helps combat the challenges of typical online learning, such as losing focus or motivation. You’ll get set up with a personalized Jewish study partner, and you’ll learn the topic of your choice for a half hour a week from the comfort of your own home over phone or video call!
In a traditional online learning setting, learners often lack the interaction and accountability that comes from in-person learning. Havruta learning helps combat this by connecting learners with a mentor or a study partner who provides support and accountability throughout the learning process. This helps keep learners motivated and on track toward their learning goals.